MEANING OF OUTDOOR ADVERTISING
Outdoor advertising also called out-of-home media, is advertising done outside of the home. This includes posters, billboards, wallscapes, transits seen while they are “on the go”.
It can also be seen as the process of displaying marketing materials in outdoor spaces that consumers frequent.
Most businesses in Nigeria use this type of marketing platform to increase their overall success, build brand awareness and boost visibility.
According to the Outdoor Advertising Association of America [OAAA], it states that consumers spend more time outside of their homes than inside of them, which makes outdoor advertising highly effective.
The key takeaway to using outdoor advertising in your marketing campaign is visibility. Each type of outdoor advertising – billboards, posters, and transit system ads – all give a stronger presence in a specific area of town. It can link you to the local community, engage tourists or appeal to commuters with a long ride to and from work.
The possibilities are limitless. That’s why it is vital to crafting a plan that aligns accurately with your marketing goals. Outdoor advertising is one such technique that is quite structured as a mass-market medium, and you can use it for branding, broad messages, support campaigns, and so forth.
In outdoor advertising, the messages should be really bold and visible so that it can get the attention of the consumers, and also the images to be used shouldn’t be excessive.
BENEFITS OF OUTDOOR ADVERTISING IN NIGERIA
- Attention grabbing: Unlike other forms of advertising such as television, radio, newspaper, etc, outdoor advertising is very unique and can stand on its own. This means that they do not have to compete with the other forms of advertising. Consumers hardly forget the ads they have seen as it is more likely to commit to their memory.
- High reach: For businesses that are looking to reach a high audience, outdoor advertising is the best option. Most people who do not have access to other forms of advertising can have access to outdoor advertising. It has been recorded that almost 70% of consumers spend most of their time outside their homes, this is why most businesses in Nigeria make use of outdoor advertising for their products or services.
- It’s engaging: Consumers who are on a road trip or walking on the road are more likely to get attracted to a large billboard or poster that they have viewed on the. They are more likely to get engaged in such a form of advertising and also take action by making purchases for such products.
- Highly impactful: In outdoor advertising, consumers can easily see the ad without being interrupted unlike ads on the television or radio. It can easily be seen around the environment, unlike television where it has to be turned on first.
- Cost effective: Outdoor is much more cost effective compared to that of television, radio, newspaper ads. They also offer a greater return on investment, making them an excellent option for business owners who are on a budget or who are looking for a savvy advertising option.
COST OF OUTDOOR ADVERTISING IN NIGERIA
A number of things count towards the cost of outdoor advertising in Nigeria
- Rent costs
- Printing costs
- A fee paid to the Advertising Practitioners Council of Nigeria [APCON]
The Advertising Practitioners Council of Nigeria [APCON] is the only body responsible for vetting every advert be it TV or as a billboard advert, should be confirmed by the government agency. APCON is the body that is charged by law for guidelines of commercials in Nigeria.
The cost of billboard advertising in Lagos can be between N200,000 to N3 million relying upon the above-stated factors influencing the cost.