Billboard advertising is the process of using large-scale print advertisement to market a company, brand, product, service, or campaign.
Billboards are normally placed in high traffic areas, such as along the highways and in cities, so they’re seen by the highest number of pedestrians and drivers.
Billboard advertising is classified as out-of-home (OOH) advertising, which is any advertising that gets to consumers when they’re outside of their homes.
Billboard advertising has been a prominent medium for outdoor advertising for a very long time. The message in this medium needs to be very brief and easy to comprehend.
Billboard advertising is productive for building brand awareness and broadcasting your business or product to a large number of people.
Billboards tend to have the highest number of views and reactions when compared to other marketing methods.
For billboard advertising, it has to be bold and simple, cause drivers or passersby only have a few seconds to get a glimpse at your billboard advertisement.
Also, the colors to be used should stand out so that they can attract viewers.
It also has to be creative in order to stand out among the hustle and bustle in a specific area.
There are different types of billboards, which are;
- Classic billboard is also known as Bulletin
- Vinyl billboard
- Mobile billboards
- Scented billboard
- Three-dimensional billboard
- Painted billboard
BENEFITS OF BILLBOARD ADVERTISING IN NIGERIA
- Creates brand awareness: Billboard advertising is a very effective medium for businesses and companies that want to reach a large number of people. For businesses that are trying to get increased traffic to their website, billboards are the most efficient advertising medium. When most people view the billboard it increases their awareness of such brand, cause they tend to remember the brand.
- Viewers get engaged and amused: Billboard should be designed in such a way that it captivates the audiences, the images, and colors to be used should be bright and not look too excessive, and also the texts and messages should be clear and easy to understand. This can get the viewers engaged to such billboard adverts.
- Works 24/7: Unlike other advertising mediums such as television commercials, radio adverts, billboard adverts can be seen on the road every day. It provides repeat exposure to your ad as passersby have a regular route.
- Less messages: The messages that a billboard advert pass should always be less and also understood the moment anyone sees it. Research has shown that these images or catchphrases stick to the viewer’s mind. For businesses that wished to use billboards to advertise their product or services, it is advised that the messages should be short and concise so that viewers can easily understand the information they are trying to deliver.
- Billboards have a high return on investments: Billboards are mostly seen and located in busy areas, so they have the highest number of views and reactions to any marketing strategy. Billboards has been seen to have a proven high return on investment. Research has shown that for every advertising dollar spent on billboards, the return on investments is almost six dollars.
COST OF BILLBOARD ADVERTISING IN NIGERIA
The cost of billboard advertising rests on many factors including;
- The location of your billboard
- The total traffic in that area
- The number of people measured to see your advertisement.
- Rent costs
- Printing costs
- A fee paid to the Advertising Practitioners Council of Nigeria [APCON]
The cost of billboard advertising in Nigeria can be between N200,000 to N3 Million relying upon the above-stated factors.